Wednesday, 23 January 2013

(Mostly) Completed: Victorian reticule

I started and completed my first project in ages last night. Since I've been out of sewing for over a year (yikes!), I wanted to start off with something easy, which kind of ironically, didn't involve a pattern. I'm planning to make a steampunk style costume soon (fabric is ordered!), so I did a little research and decided to put together a simple reticule (Victorian purse). It was super simple and didn't take long at all (as long as you don't count the weird tension issues I got halfway through). It's mostly completed, although I didn't finish the openings, haven't decided how I want to finish the ends of the strings and I'm thinking of adding a gold tassel to the bottom. However, this was mainly a test run, since I don't think it will match the colour of the taffeta I ordered for my dress.

As a bonus, this little project also totally fit with the Stashbuster Sewalong theme of January! The fabric I used was the leftovers from when my aunt made some throw pillows. There wasn't much more than you can see in the bag (just the part that was cut away when I made the point at the bottom).

1 comment:

  1. Awe, it looks great, Megan! :D I had no clue what a reticule was until this. :P haha I think you did a fabulous job though, it looks gorgeous! :D